Fact Sheet: Strengthening Ontario’s Immigration Program
Opportunities Ontario: Provincial Nominee Program is the province’s permanent immigration selection program. Ontario selects or “nominates” individuals for permanent resident status to the federal government. It provides opportunities for:
- Employers and investors to recruit and retain highly skilled foreign workers.
- Foreign workers to permanently live and work in Ontario.
- International students to stay and work permanently in Ontario.
The program helps to fast-track permanent resident status for successful nominees and helps Ontario attract the skilled labour force it needs to prosper, grow the economy and remain competitive in the global market.
Effective program administration
Ontario continuously works to improve its Provincial Nominee Program to ensure greater effectiveness and efficiency. Recent advances include:
- Improving program administration, such as updating the program’s operations manual, developing regular program updates for staff, annual staff training, consulting with partner ministries on priority labour market sectors, re-evaluating program streams, and reinforcing the communication of conflict-of-interest guidelines.
- Developing a formal performance reporting framework to identify jobs created, retention rates and economic benefits of the program.
Strengthening Program Integrity
In addition to re-introducing its first-ever Immigration Act, Ontario has strengthened the integrity of its Provincial Nominee Program by:
- Introducing new protocols and processes to ensure quality file assessments.
- Developing a program integrity framework and action plan.
- Developing an information-sharing arrangement with Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).
- Establishing ongoing partnerships with enforcement agencies such as the Canadian Border Services Agency, the Ontario Securities Commission, the RCMP and the OPP.
- Updating Ontario’s tracking system for nominees to align with the federal government’s system to better track processing times.
- Remaining an active member of a performance indicator federal-provincial-territorial working group, which is expected to standardize anti-fraud tracking mechanisms across Provincial Nominee Programs and with the federal government.
Ensuring the long-term success of Ontario’s PNP
To ensure the integrity and long-term success of Ontario’s PNP, Ontario will continue to work collaboratively with all partners, and implement measures that improve processing times and administration of the program.